Monday, March 30, 2009

My "Chair" Bed


This is my "chair" bed. It is very comfortable and helpful for me, suffering from acid reflux.
Years ago I went to a doctor, who told me to put a chair under my mattress to sleep in a high position. It didn't work for me, I kept sliding down the bed. I couldn't afford one of those movable beds nor did I have insurance to cover a hospital bed. Sleeping in a recliner didn't help my back either, although that's what I did for years.
So, my solution was this: The base of my bed is a wide recliner, backed against a wall at the slant that I needed and wanted. I have one of those plastic storage boxes under the foot rest, to keep it up. Then an ottoman against the end of it. I put a blanket and a spread on top of the whole thing, especially at the top so the chair won't mark the wall. I purchased one of those foam mattress padding's (twin size) from Wal Mart. The foam doesn't go all the way to the end, but that really doesn't matter. I put a sheet on top of that. I purchased pillows at Wal Mart a couple at a time, and lined the whole bed with pillows all the way down the end. Then my top sheet and blanket.
I went to Goodwill and purchased the spread and pillow shames for less than twenty dollars. When I go to sleep at night, I put one pillow behind my back, two on the very top to cradle my neck and head. It is very comfortable and affordable, but most important, it feels like a bed to me.
If this helps just one person, I have done what I have set out to do with this post.
Yes, I take meds for my reflux and watch what I eat. I have also purchased Aloe Vera Gel from the health food store, not the best tasting stuff, but it works. But, that's just me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,I was thinking about asking you how that Aloe Vera Gel was working ..the bed looks great,better for you than that recliner. Hey I was thinking could you mix the Aloe Vera with Jello..might be easier to get down. I know you tolerate the bad taste , but you know what they say,"A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down", just a thought..from one friend to another...Travlbug

rainey said...

Hi Rhonda, the gel was working good for me. I have to start taking some again.
I took up till a couple of months ago. I will give the jello a try. Still waiting to read something on your blog.