Monday, March 23, 2009

A Proud Member of "Roadtrashpipefitter.Com"

My Beautiful Road to Being A Proud Member of "Roadtrashpipefitter.com"

Long story short, I lost my job in the car parts industry. I was in the first group of 150 who's jobs went south (this was Oct.2007. We were laid off, since then, another 250 have lost their jobs) downsizing the "All American" myth of "All American" made cars.
The parts we made here, were shipped daily to Mexico. To build, and advertised "American built". Then came the day, not only were the cars being built from our parts, but those parts were going to be assembled "South Of The Boarder" also. (I am still wondering how that is working out for the car Industry!) We all know now, how that went "South" for sales too. So, when they say the car industry did make moves to save money, well they did start 2 yrs. before but, they started in the wrong part of the car market. Might have been a good decision then, but baby look at it now.

I did land a job soon after, in another company, as an inspector, inspecting tail-lights for a new Toyota vehicle. This company, as many others thought that they could "who-do" the Japanese into thinking they would be honest in doing a good job. Two weeks into inspecting, I was asked to hide 17 parts, from the Toyota team, there to watch the new production line.
(I can tell you that was not what I was taught in training. I had to work two weeks with no pay just get the job).
I questioned the decision to hide parts from those who were entrusting this company to create, "All American" jobs as well as "All American parts". I expressed this concern to my trainer, who was also the "safety man", as well as to the Human Resource personal.
Shortly after reporting this, my mother had to have some tests done for her heart. I would have to take her. I called in as instructed to do, which was 12 hrs. before my shift began, telling them I would be out that day.
They couldn't find my call in..I got fired. You decide!
I won my "Unemployment appeal", and kept my dignity. I would do it again.
My son asked me to travel with him, as my unemployment ran out. He has taken on all of my bills, and never complains. I am searching the job market for work, also have discovered I can accept help as well as give it. "Roadtrashpipefitter" is a great channel to find out where work is and where the next job is. Who is putting out a call for pipe fitters, plumbers and welders. Places to stay, the cheapest hotel, as well as where you might need to get your car worked on and who you can trust to treat you fair in the area you might be traveling to next. Any helpful info that you can imagine.
None of the backbiting, wetting on the fire hydrant. You can see the respect that real tradesmen have for their trade. The brother and sisterhood therein.
Not just because of my son, but all that I have read sharing the heart of what "American workers", have for this great country. Love Rhonda

No comments: