Wednesday, April 8, 2009

U-Save Car Rental Headache






My sister rented a car
for a trip out of town. She was suppose to pick it up the night before she was due to leave. Instead, she worked late and had to do it the morning of her trip. Needless to say, she was running behind schedule.
When she picked up the car, she was in a rush, and signed off on the car. Before she left the terminal, she saw the true condition of it.
Now, look at these pictures, one can tell by them, this did not happen within minutes of picking it up. Also, by the look of it, there is no way, the rental company could not have known about it, or did not collect on this car before.
On her way home, she called the car rental place, told them about the tail lights and marks on the bumper, and that there wasn't an attendant to be found anywhere. (Thank goodness, cell phone companies have records of times and dates of calls made. This comes in handy should someone have to go to court.) We live approximately ten minutes away from the air port.
I took pictures of the damage, on my cell phone, then sent them, along with a note, to the U-Save car rental customer service, on computer, while my sister got on her way. They did respond, with a "hope this matter is settled to your satisfaction" email. Thinking, everything is taken care of, I still kept all the information on my computer, just in case.
The car was returned on the second of April. She waited in line with everyone else for the rental company to open for business.
On the fifth of April, she is checking her bank statement, U-Save, charged her account five hundred dollars! They never called her about it, just took it! What nerve! If she didn't catch it at that time, her checks could have bounce.
The manager informed her, on Monday, that he has to "research" it and also accused her of just leaving the car, without checking out, to which she told him that wasn't true and explained about waiting in line with everyone else. She tried talking to him this morning, but wouldn't get on the phone with her, instead told the girl to tell her, "he's waiting on corporate to get in touch with him".
My sister called the corporate office, and they didn't have all the information and wanted her to fax everything to them. Nine dollars later, corporate received all pictures and communication they asked for. Now, it's a "wait and see" game. But, they did tell her they were going to check into it right away. We'll see.
Mad

6 comments:

Barry said...

I had a similar thing happen to me in Scotland. A month after we returned home a thousand dollars was removed from my account, the full deductible. They claimed they had found the fender scratched and had to replace it.

We had no pictures or documentation.

We did have a lot of anger.

rainey said...

I can just visualize the anger you must of felt. My sister is so upset, and she's the calm one. She is on her way over there right now, won't let me go with her. She knows me all too well.

Anonymous said...

Renting auto's has gotton to be a trip in its self..Enterprize were jerks to me last year..I had an acident in,"Cadiz Kentucky",ice storm, we were coming back from Alabama,to Springfield,Ill. I took the ditch rather than tango with a semi ,had to get a Motel,rent a car,because we busted the raditor in my bug.I had a nightmare, just getting there to the office.My son had to miss work.I rented thecar finaly got on the road..the girl I rented from had a car setting ready for us,so I drove off.Then she called telling me that the car, mind you, I am 100 miles down the road from the office, she is whining that my insurance co. will not pay the $1.35 a day for the xtra amount for the car. I lose it , I tell her what the flip..you knew that before I left..I am not going to drive back now..she has my visa card,,,then she called me about 2 weeks later telling when the car is due back..I know that I tell her,I have been renting cars before you were born.I informed her that my Insurance pays for 30 days .She proceeds to again whine about the $1.35 a day.Also my insurance claim guy,is also calling to tell me the same thing....long story short the charged my card for the difference $32. Also this last weekend we rented a truck from Thrift car rental...they are suppost to go out and look the car all the way around, with you..THE GUY WAS TO LAZY,so I took pictures and my son stood in front to prove we had a witness if they don't then all you have to do is have a witness... your word against theirs...but is bad they have your card...just take photos...I know hind sight is 20 20..but from now on...I know I will be more cautious...sorry this has happented to your sister...but the same goes for renting anything...we rented a motel room,Pioneer Motel, in Springfield,Ill.They accused us of stealing pillows when we moved,trust me I bought pillows, as the ones they had were filthy..rotten.I cleaned the room, it was bad...but it was cheap..get what you pay for.Then we moved..to an apartment ..I took pictures, the day we moved in, the day we moved out...still didn't get all the deposit back..I learned not to use anything they provide for you ..all cheap...towels,sheets,nothing. Just put it all aside get your own things..everyone is out for the almighty dollar.To bad!

rainey said...

Wow, I think I would have torn someone a new one. LOL.
Yeah, these people are still trying to accuse her, and say she didn't wait to sign out. BUT, she has a paper that has her check out time, returning the car, stamped from their computer and signed by the girl that works there.
Also, the bank returned her money and is going to fight them to return it.
Looks like lawyer time.

Kathryn Magendie said...

Hey Rainey! THank you for stopping by my blog *smiling*

I love the photo of your dog going to sleep , laughing! ...so cute :) and is that your Boston? I love Boston Terriers! Used to have one years back *smiling*

rainey said...

Hi Kathryn, no that's a Boston that looks like a dog by the name of Sassy, and she owns a couple that are very close friends of my sister and me.
Thanks for stopping by.