Monday, April 6, 2009

Introducing, Lenny and Nettie

Introducing, Lenny and Nettie. Along with spring time bringing flowers, birds and unsteady weather, it brings back the Mallards, of which these two come to our front door for their daily picnics. They keep this place a secret and don't blab to their friends about the local cuisine. They have been coming here for almost two weeks now. Now, they have started getting vocal about their food.
As my sister takes this picture. Lenny is keeping a watchful eye on her.
We get a lot of Ducks, Canadian Geese and Seagulls here. We don't feed them all. Last year, there was a duck that made her nest next to the community pool, on a pile of rocks. There was no shade or bush for her protection from the heat. We would give her water, and she drank it thankfully. I picked some straw out of the landscaping around the pool, and laid it beside her. We watched in fascination as she built a nest around her. There were other adults besides us, that kept an eye out for her and gave her drinking water, but someone was taking her eggs. She started out with six eggs and in the end only had one left. Her baby was so cute, and even took a swim in the pool.

They say, Mallards always return to the place they were born, I wonder?

We also had a wild rabbit that used to come into our back yard, so we got it some rabbit food, and worried about it when it didn't show up. We named her, Bun-Bun. She loved apples, the green ones were her favorite. It has been a almost two months since we have seen her. In my mind, she got married and moved away, but that's just me.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I love ducks. Every day on the way to daycare my son and I stop by a private pond that is next to the road and I let him watch the ducks out the car window for a little while before we head on our way again. He wants to go out there and hold them so bad. He doesn't understand that 1) it's a private yard and 2) ducks don't take to being held by 2 year old boys.

rainey said...

That put a smile on my face, I can just picture him wanting to hold them.
These two, even now, though vocal now about food, don't let you get too close.