Monday, December 1, 2008

Black Friday

Black Friday, what an appropriate name for the day after Thanksgiving!
I have never gone shopping on what I consider to be the worst day of the year.

In Long Island, a young man, got a part time job, probably to make extra money for the holidays, but lost his life instead. He was trampled to death by a mob of people who just couldn't wait to get into Wal-Mart! They busted the through the doors and ran over his body like a herd of cattle! Unbelievable!

Can the same people who did this really enjoy the spirit of Christmas after this?
Can they look their family and friends in their eyes and not feel responsible for this tragic and senseless act, just to save a few pennies on a dollar? Personally, I don't see how they could.

I never liked the idea of being in a crowd of people. As a young person, raised mostly in New York, having traveled by subway to and from work, during rush hour, found it a most uncomfortable place to be. Some times, I would stand off by a wall and just watch as people pushed and shoved each other just to get on a train. I knew then, this was not for me. As I watched an older lady, a shopping bag on each arm, stretched out, pushing her way through the crowd, I came to the conclusion that I had to get out of the city.

This was, and still is life in the city. But, to get in a crowd, to go shopping and act in mob mentality, by choice, is so incomprehensible to me.

My heart goes out to that young man and his family. Perhaps, the retail industry should outlaw Black Friday. But, that's just me.

No comments: