Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My sidekick


My sidekick, Tuffy, is a seventeen year old beagle Terrier. His persona consists of a stubborn streak a mile high and a mile long, and a strong knowledge of the word revenge.

I adopted him when he was seven months old from the Humane Society. His given name at that time was "Killer". The little bit of information they had on him stated he had been abused. As I bent down to say hello, he didn't move, he just stared straight ahead as to say, "if I sit real quiet, someone will take me out of here". The card also said he wasn't house broken.

Once I put a collar and leash on him, I was hooked. He walked calmly and did his business. I adopted him right there and then.

It only took a week to house break him. During this week, as he watched me go to the bathroom, he looked, listened, then proceeded to urinate where he was standing. Guess he thought, "if this is where you do it, then I will also". The look on his face when I was yelling, "what are you doing?" was priceless. He did stop in mid stream.

Down through the years together, he has proven to be a good pet. However, when he would get mad at me, he would pee on my bed, hold his bowels until he has diarrhea and then go on my carpets. While we walk if he wants to go one way, and me, the other, it is like fighting a bull. I always win, but he challenges me all the way. Even at this age.

No comments: