Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cooking for your dog

After my dog's skin got so dried and developed sores, I started doing research on home made dog food. There really is a lot of good information on the web on this subject.
He has been on this food for about six months. It has cleared his skin and the sores are all gone. Also, has calmed his stomach.
Once a month, I cook(not a lot of water) a large pot of veggies: string beans, peas, carrots, potatoes (sweet and plain), apples, barley and vegetarian dry soup mix. (I don't use onions or any gassy veggies) To this I add Tofu (great protein) and two caps of Flax seed oil. After that's done, I puree it all, so all the nutrients get mixed together. I put two cups of this mixture in as many freezer bags as necessary. Once a week, I cook whole grains to mix with the veggies. I cook, in separate pots, buckwheat, whole wheat and oatmeal. I also cook the grains with more Flax seed oil.
Mix everything together. When I feed him, I sprinkle two pinches of vitamin supplements (that I have mixed together) on his food and a teaspoon of cottage cheese, and mix.
SUPPLEMENT: 1 cup of powdered Brewers Yeast, 1 cup of Wheat Germ and 1/8 cup of powdered Kelp. (got this off the Internet)
And to really spice it up, I will add a thin layer of baby food meats (such as Gerber's Lamb, Veal or Chicken) on top to make his mouth water.
But, that's just me.

No comments: